SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Suggestions for perennial or small shrub to go under my birdbath

I recently converted my birdbath to a succulent garden, and now I need something to go underneath the birdbath that is maybe 12-18" tall, blends well with the succulents AND the surrounding flowers and shrubs, looks OK in the winter, doesn't spread (too badly), and is good with full sun.

Maybe a type of sedum (not Autumn Joy, I have it everywhere)? Or a red salvia? Based on pics, maybe another type of beardtongue (as I understand it's hard to transplant)?

Here is the birdbath; ; pic is about a week ago, the only change is that I added a cute little bird statue :-)

And here are some full frontals:

From my front door

(in the pot in the bottom left is a mondo grass that I had kept on my front porch over the Winter; it might come back, but if not I have a ton of it. And in the upper right you'll see where I have 4 pots of spiky dracaena that I've only recently taken out of the greenhouse and put in the sun; I'm not sure where I'll place them yet)

Standing in front of the garden

So you can see the surrounding plants

A little closer

Starting at the house and moving forward, I have a line of (3) Ever Red Fring Flower loropetalum, with (2) Sunshine Ligistrum in front of them. I planted those last year and the ligistrum is doing great, but the loropetalum is still a little small.

At the black structure on the left, I have Mandevilla in a container that's just now starting to come up. It should grow up the structure and have big white blooms.

In the pots are a mix of bulbs; right now you see tulips, in the back pot I have full size Asiatic lilies, and in the front are dwarf Asiatics.

To the right of the birdbath is a stunted Tamukeyama Japanese Maple. I had it in a pot for several years before planting it in the ground, and it seems to have stunted the roots because it's never gotten any bigger.

In the shadier areas, I have a mix of red and yellow calla lilies. In the brighter areas I have orange daylilies.

In front of those are purple irises, yellow lilies, blue speedwell, Black Eyed Susans, purple coneflower, Autumn Joy sedum, and Purple Heart setcreasea. The irises are starting to bloom, but everything else is just now coming up. You can also see some mums from the Fall that are still doing great, which is really weird because they usually die away :-O I might move some lamb's ear to the very front, but I'm not sure if it's OK to cut off their flowers? If not then they would be too spiky for this garden.

And there's a small water feature in the middle of it that's surrounded by mondo grass, with Red Rocks Beardtongue (new last year, it hasn't bloomed so I don't know what to think) and creeping jenny at the base. Ignore the plants sitting in it, I'm using it to salvage a few holly trees that I'm going to plant around the perimeter of the yard.

In front of the water feature are (4) hyacinth, but they're on their way out for the season.

In addition to these, I have Devil's Trumpet, Angel's Trumpet, petunias, spinach, peppermint, coleus, and hot peppers in the greenhouse, and I have tiger lilies and Queen Anne ivy that I can move around.

And right now I'm setting up a sprinkler system. I would have been done last week, but I'm having a hard time finding one specific adapter :-/

Comments (9)