SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannpalmyra

old barn wood tossed into a bon fire - woe is me!

joannpalmyra
15 years ago

My daughter and I went to a bon fire/mortgage burning party on Saturday evening, invited by a boy in her school. The house is on 14 acres of gorgeous wooded land, and it was very dark out when we got there. After awhile my eyes adjusted and I could make out a large pile of wood that was used to feed the fire. At one point the teenage boys were called to add wood to the fire. First they pulled up lots of crab apple branches, then some particle board. When I saw them heave a beautiful old barn door into that flaming pit, I nearly choked. It was gorgeous. My daughter patted my back and cooed soothing words (while rolling her eyes and snickering at my heartache) Next went in two long, narrow shutters, then another barn door and some furniture parts. I didn't know the family well, so wasn't comfortable asking them to let me rescue anything. Then my daughter laughed as she told her friend's mom that she was causing me great anxiety by burning the old wood pieces. I meekly asked if perhaps I could take the few pickets that were laying in the pile, and she said of course, then walked away. I wondered if she thought I was a nut, but then she came back with a darling picket fence gate!

I found a 9 or 10 foot piece of wood with a scalloped edge and tried to take it home but it wouldn't fit in my car. So one of the boys put it in their moving truck and will deliver it some time this week. :D

I'm still sad and regetful about the doors, though. *sigh*

~JoAnn

Comments (7)