SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawnamichelle_gw

My 3 1/2 year old's room scares us both

shawnamichelle
13 years ago

Ok, so it's not really scary, but my son has eluded to the fact that he does not feel "warm and cozy" in his room. I agree and have struggled with his room since we moved in last October. I think the wall color is way too cold feeling and I'd like to warm it up BUT I'm looking for an easier way before having to paint it. I thought about replacing the blue rug with a tan/brown shag rug. And maybe eliminated some of the conflicting patterns. I thought about getting him a headboard and footboard, maybe in white since the room is small. And a new dresser that it long and low. And getting rid of the telephone table, putting the lamp in the new dresser next to the bed...I was trying to find a way to rearrange the room, but the room is awkward. This picture is taken from the doorway looking to the right. There is an outlet in the far wall under the table that my husband thinks will be dangerous to put a bed against. The wall where the bed currently is has no outlets. Do you think this is a deterrent?

{{gwi:1748944}}

This picture is taken looking into the room from the hall. To the left is a closet. There is an outlet and vent under the window.

{{gwi:1748945}}

What are your ideas?

Comments (24)

• eclecticme
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the wall color and I love the checkered bedspread. I would definately get rid of the tall dresser. I would be afraid that he would climb on it and it would fall on him. That could cause some serious injuries! I have a 4yo boy that LOVES to climb... I also like the rug. I think I would remove everything that is currently on the walls and add artwork that he has created. I think that would make a huge difference. Im not sure about how to arrange the room.

• teacats
    13 years ago

A vote to change the wall color (sorry!) to a much warmer goldish color. I think that would make a huge impact on the room. Just a light pale gold like Laura Ashley Gold #2?

For artworks -- maybe switch to a bunch of family photos (including pets and homes and fav pastimes and places) and hang them in matching dark brown frames with orange mats?

Would the bed work if you placed the head under the window??

Perhaps add warming note of visual "texture" by adding bamboo blinds to the window?

Maybe switch to bedding and curtains with warm tones like browns, oranges etc.? And look for furniture in warm dark chocolate brown?

Just some thoughts! Hope you don't mind!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Related Discussions

Going to the funeral of a 3 1/2 year old boy

Q

Comments (5)
    Bronzino Thank you.....I knew the father the best. Since he was the Principal for 5 years at our school I spoke with him a lot. I did some cleaning to help with tuition and when I worked on Saturdays he would come in with two of his kids and the kids would watch me run the floor scrubbing machine. Then when I remarried and became the parent of my SD she ended up in the same class as his daughter. I kind of take on the burdens of those that are suffering at times like this. I cry for them a lot. I know that a lot of people feel the same way. My heart breaks for them. I am not so sentimental about things but I am about memories. These people shared their lives with us. During some Chapels at school the Principal would bring his little son up on stage with him and the boy would crawl around while his daddy spoke to the school. Every one knew them. It makes you see how fleeting this life is and how short our time is with our kids. I have a DD20 that is talking about moving out and although we have had our issues she wouldn't be leaving under bad circumstances, if she goes now. We could use the extra room but gosh I wish she was 5 years old again for a day here and there. There are days when I wish they would all leave and times when I cry for days that are long gone. Having this funeral in a few days is making me very emotional....how does a parent part with a child like that. lamom....should you read this.....my heart aches for you. You and your dear son are in my prayers. I must blow my nose now....sigh.
    ...See More

My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!

Q

Comments (16)
    I have a 2 yr old daughter that has never slept through the night ever and bedtime is always an hour or 2 fight to get her to bed. My husband and I usually have to rock her to sleep then put her in bed but she is getting too big to be rocked like that anymore. I tried the weighted calming blankets but she kicked it right off. We have tried Vicky's approach but gave up after 2+ hours of walking her back to her bed and fighting with her to stay in bed. She hates being alone. She wakes up at least once every night around 1 am and comes into our room wanting to sleep with us or play. She is extremely high energy all the time and difficult to calm. I am so ready for Super Nanny to help! Any suggestions for the extremely strong willed/stubborn 2 yr old and exhausted parents! We also have a very very hard time getting her down for a nap. Some days she just doesn't take one at all! Help!
    ...See More

My 4 1/2 year old's bedroom - WWYD

Q

Comments (24)
    Lots of good ideas here. Thanks! Joann - thanks for the picture. That is what I was envisioning, but I like having an example. I never considered green as the main wall color, but I like the idea. I'll have to find a subtle green though. I don't want the color to be too loud. I love the image of the stripes provided by dawnp. That is very do-able for me. I will involve my son in the selection, after I've narrowed down the choices. He picked the bedding, but has told me that he wants rainbow walls (not gonna happen!). I think he'll like the stripes in the example from dawnp. Maybe I can find some nice tans and greens for the colors. Les - we originally had the furniture as you suggested, but when you entered the room the edge of the chest made it feel blocked. But I do like the idea of creating a space in the corner for activities. Once we paint I'll play with the furniture arrangement again. Maybe it would be better if I placed the chest against the wall to the left of the table, rather than on an angle. What do you think? I'm on the hunt for a small book shelf. I'll also look at removable decals that would be fun for the next few years, but can be removed as he gets older. I'll look at shagreen once I find my samples. Thanks bestyears. This is why I love this forum! I've been looking at his room for a year now without any direction. Now I have it! Thank you everyone. I'll keep checking back in case anyone else has further ideas or opinions.
    ...See More

Finally ordered cabinets after 3 1/2 years!

Q

Comments (10)
    aries61...I'm right there with you! I realize that this weekend last year is when I started searching all the options with cabinets and ended up using Brian at CJ for the same reason. With our crazy work schedules, we have been working on them since August (28 cabinets). Our contractor should start in the next week or two so we are appliance, counter, backsplash shopping as well. Best of luck...I hope we both have finished and fabulous kitchens in time for summer! What hood option did you end up going with? By that time in the decision making process, I just basically threw a dart on the webpage and went with it.
    ...See More
  • shawnamichelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eclecticme, yes, my 3 1/2 year old does love to climb and I've caught him trying to get things out of that top drawer. I think replacing the dresser with a lower one is a must! Good idea about hanging his artwork!

teacats, thanks for responding to both of my posts today. I was thinking a warm yellow as well. The bed would work under the window if it were flush against the wall, but there's the problem with the outlet. We would like a nightstand next to his bed and that would be over the air vent which is under the window. This could work though.
    I don't think we'll be switching bedding and curtains at this point. Would you suggest a darker furniture in this room even though it's small?

Thanks!

• camlan
    13 years ago

What is the problem with the outlet? I'm not trying to be snarky, but why would putting a bed next to an outlet be dangerous? Or is something going to be plugged in to the outlet, and your DH is afraid the bed will damage the plug?

I've had beds up against wall outlets many a time and there has been no problem, so I'm just trying to figure this out.

As for making the room more cozy, have you asked your son? If he can articulate that the room doesn't feel cozy, he should be able to give you some pointers. What colors make him feel cozy, for example. Or look at pictures of rooms together and talk about what feel cozy in the picture and what doesn't. Or can he tell you what rooms (in your house or other houses) make him feel cozy?

• teacats
    13 years ago

I do think that dark brown (or dark chocolate brown -- I think of colors that correspond to food LOL!) furniture would look amazing in his room!

The fresh white trim would look wonderful with paler yellow or pale gold walls -- which would also work with the tones in the floor too! Each of these factors would balance out the dark wood furniture! :) Perhaps try matching that yellowy-orange stripe in his bedding for the walls? Just a thought! :)

Would a ceiling fan work in the room instead of the box fan? Just wondering -- every inch of space counts! Just teasing!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• User
    13 years ago

I did a BUNCH of mock ups for a comforter just like that a while back. There are so many options for color, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity.

• shawnamichelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again all!

Camlan, I think you've validated the point I was trying to make to my husband, that it didn't matter that the bed would be against and outlet-with a plug in it. He's afraid of the fabric from the bed somehow catching on fire. I thought it would be fine too. Great idea about asking my son...I did ask him what color makes him feel warm and he said yellow. We've been having problems with him sleeping in his room at night so redecorating was one idea to help. He did say he felt cozy in our MB b/c "mommy and daddy were in it" so maybe family pictures on his walls? Anyway, thank for the ideas!

Lukkiirish, yes, you are right! So many colors to use here!!! I need to just pick one. LOL!

Teacats, the box fan is more for white noise than anything, so a ceiling fan might look nice, but wouldn't serve the same purpose I'm afraid. You're right though, every inch does count in a room this small. I think a warm yellow too.

Here's another question for you all: Would you keep the rug or vote for darker solid color?

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

The fastest way to change the mood of a room is to paint it. Most people think of blue for a boy's room. But the fact is that a lot of people ultimately feel that blue walls are actually cold and even depressing, and, while a boy might not be able to articulate that, it might be the case here. There are blue skies, but there are also blue moods!

If you can, you might paint the walls in a soft, light tan, or gold, as Jan suggested. This is just my opinion, but I would steer away from yellow. That can be an aggressive color! And yellows go on the walls much stronger than they appear on the sample card. We just painted our MBR in BM Blond Wood, with the trim (and there's a lot of it) in BM Alpine White. It's very soft, warm without being heated up, and lends itself to whatever color scheme I want. E.g., the primary colors that kids like, or the jewel tones and pastels that I prefer. BM has stacks of colors in the warm cream to light tan range.

I read an interesting article by a decorator who specializes in chilren's rooms. She suggested warm neutral walls from wheat to khaki, especially for boys' rooms. She stated that with these colors you can vary the rest of your color scheme in any direction, and that the young man will not be revved up by the wall color. As all of us moms-of-boys know, they don't need extra "revving up"!

I agree that a headboard is good idea. It doesn't have to be tall, but it should be sturdy. It will enhance his feeling of security and coziness. I wouldn't do white, I'd go with a natural wood. Also agree with Jan's excellent idea of family, pet, and happy place photos in the room. They should be in color rather than black-and-white, and in plain wood or painted frames, rather than the heavy black frames that are so trendy now.

I know that you can't replace the curtains now, but eventually perhaps? Try a simple curtain that is as light as the walls - it will make the room look larger.

Perhaps also sit with him at night with the lights out or just a nightlight on, and ask him what he likes. Sometimes things that look adorable by day are scary-looking in the dark!

It's a cute room and you're a wonderful mother for being so sensitive to your boy's feelings.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I agree that a pale gold color would look nice.

Also, my DD had those same alphabet cards that you have hanging high up on the wall. For a little guy, those are hanging SO high... I wonder if they might somehow be eerie to him (if I'm not overthinking this). I arranged ours in a grid pattern on the wall over my DD's headboard -- like a large piece of art on the wall.

If you get a new headboard, consider getting a bookcase headboard -- then you wouldn't need the additional bookcase under the window. You could put the toys in a basket or something. My DS is now almost 15, has had his bookcase headboard since he was 2 or 3, and still loves it! It was a cheapo bed from JC Penney and it's still in really good condition.

My kids all have small bedrooms, so I've had a lot of experience in trying to fit a lot of kid stuff in a small space!

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

My mother bought all three of my kids a small sheepskin throw/rug from Costco a number of years ago. It was a soft, warm and cozy item that they could sit on the floor on while playing, put on to a hard chair to make it softer, or drag it into bed to cuddle. My boys are both 15 now and aren't ashamed to cart their sheepskins around; they haven't outgrown them. Just a thought for you.

...Pam

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rjinga
    13 years ago

I think there have been many good suggestions and will turn the room around. I'd consider wall mounted light fixtures rather then the one on the very small surface of the study/gossip bench. And what about making some pull out storage drawers (on casters for easy in and out) that can go under the bed for toy storage, or if you are getting a new bed, perhaps consider a captains bed, which could replace the tall dresser and it's storage is all at his height :) bonus.

• shawnamichelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sable Ca, thank you for mentioning that article. I wondered about colors and their impact of young children. I was imagining a khaki color myself. I think it's a great idea to trun out the lights and chat about his preferences. I asked him today what his favorite thing in the room was and he said his dream catcher, which was mine and I just gave to him yesterday. Tonight at bedtime I caught him whispering to it to keep all the bad dreams away and let only the good ones in. :)

prairiedawnpam, I love it! A perfect gift. Thanks for the idea!

Rjinga, thanks for the ideas! Yes, I think a trundle or some such thing would be great for this small room.

So what was the final thought on the rug if I painted the walls a gold/tan?

Sueb20, you might have a point about the cards being way up high....I get it. My son has a very active imagination and you never know. The one thing he has said about them was "it's like a tent" I guess b/c they surround him from above. I love your idea on putting them on the wall like a grid....not sure why I didn't think of that! : ) I was looking at a headboard with bookcase combo at target. Might be just the thing.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I'd get a captain's bed (drawers under) with a bookcase headboard. It doesn't really matter where the outlets are - the outlets in the house should be either the new tamper-proof outlets required by code if it's a new house, or have child-safe plugs installed (they have plugs for unused outlets and also ones that cover cords for lamps so they can't be pulled out). If the room feels cold I'd paint in a tan/wheat and change the carpet, budget permitting.

• polly929
    13 years ago

I have a very awkward room for my son too. I plan on getting him a captain's bed when he out grows his crib. I think it will work well in your room as well.
    I would pull from the quilt and change the curtains to primary red.

If you keep the dresser, please secure it to the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea bed

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Question? You say closet is on left. Is it a long closet along the wall the door is on, or is it on the window wall?

My first house had exact shape as yours but my closet was on the window wall, it was just a door to a small walk in. The wall door was on was just a solid wall.

Anyhoo. I totally agree about plug.

Keep bed where it is. Get captain bed with bookcase.
    Keep bookcase and put it next to bed if you don't get new bed.
    Put a chair in corner to left of window, if your closet is a long one on wall door is on. Only if you need a chair.
    Put tall dresser on wall door is on, unless there is a closet on that wall and you can't.
    Consider putting dresser inside closet, unless closet is used for storage.

My dd had a long closet. I put shelves in one side and put all her toys on that side. I used the other side to hang her clothes, shoes on floor rack. She had a long dresser in room with three drawers on each side. At 3.5 she really only had a few items that needed hanging. My son is 9.5 and still only hangs his shirts. He has dresser in closet on one side and shirts on low rod on other side with a laundry basket.

If storage for toys is an issue maybe at 3.5 it is time to sort through and pick out the more baby type toys and stick to more pre- preschool type.

As for the concern about the climbing of dresser. I put stuff in the top drawers that he did not need, like some blankets. He saw there was nothing fun in there to look at and has probably not opened them in 3yrs. Putting a little step stool in room would assist him, plus be needed if you get him a captains bed.

I think at 3.5 a change of bedding may be fun. A theme rather than the plaid might help him feel more cozy. Putting a white eraser board and a chalk boark on walls might be fun, maybe an easel instead of a chair. I do agree that the cards on wall are way up there. If you keep bedding and don't get a new bed they could be arranged above pillow to create a headboard. He is at an age where viewing them closer will help him enjoy them more.

If you keep the bedding, maybe yellow walls with red curtains would liven up things. Get two red toss pillows to tie it all together.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I'm not going to comment so much on the decorating side, but on your concerns that your DS feel comfortable/cozy in his room. Many children that age alternate between wanting to be a big boy (scary), but still needing not only the comfort and security of Mom and Dad, but the comfort and security in things staying the same. It can be an ambivalent time for him and confusing to parents. For this reason, I would not make too many changes to his room all at once, otherwise you may find he misses his old room, the way it was and have more issues settling in at night. So, I'd try to zone in on the one aspect that most bothers him (you) and change only that; then wait awhile, see how he feels and work on the next thing. For instance, while some kids may like a kid-themed bedding, others may be very attached to what they have now, the way it feels/smells, etc. Even moving the bed position in the room may be disorienting to him and may result in him being more clingy, not less. While a Captain's bed is great for storage, it does place the bed higher off the floor. Since I see you have a bedrail there presently, I'm not sure this is the best choice for right now; in fact, I'd steer clear of changing his bed in anyway at this point--unless it's things of his choosing that can be easily changed back if he changes his mind. I think I'd start with a warmer toned wall color. If you do decide to change the rug, perhaps you could get one of those rugs that have car roads on it and he can play with his cars there. I do think kids who enjoy playing in their rooms in the daytime, are more comfortable going to sleep there at night. Perhaps add a cozy chair to sit and read books--a place where the two of you can cuddle together. The reason he prefers your room as you noticed is that you and your DH are there--so making his room a place where you also enjoy spending some time will surely make it feel more cozy to him as well.

• shawnamichelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ajsmama, thanks for your comments. the house was built in the 50s and the problem is not with the bedding touching the outlet but with it being only one of 2 outlets in the room, we will need to plug into it and it's an older outlet where the plugs sag out of it. My dh doesn't want the plugs from a light to be jammed against the bed, and since my son is only 3 1/2 we need a bedrail and a wall for him not to fall out so bed needs to be against wall...I guess we could have another outlet put in at some point, but not now.

Polly929, I will be getting rid of the dresser soon and getting a long one to put in it's place against the wall the head of the bed in on. The curtains we have do come in red (Pottery Barn Kids)and you can't really tell but they are navy blue with colorful stitching in stipes.

I just noticed they have curtains which match the bedding (see link) what do you think about that?

Shannon01, the door is on the same wall as the bed. The closet wall is to the left of the door and the closet is not very long but takes up half of that wall. In the picture with the bookcase, the wall to the left is where the closet is, pretty much within inches of the left edge of photo. I like your ideas. I think I will keep the bed where it is. As for toy, we have a playroom so he doesn't really need any storage for them. Just books. And we just bought this bedding he picked out in January when he changed from a crib to a big boy bed. So that stays. Making a headboard out of the cards is a fantastic idea!

Valinsv, thank you for considering the real reason behind my son's feelings. We actually have had a big year with lots of changes. We moved in October (just up the street, so same friends etc but still a move), I just had a baby, and he moved from a crib to a big boy bed. I'm with you in not wanting to make too many changes at once. The problem is that ever since we moved in here, his room has been in constant flux, now with the bed so I guess this is my last ditch effort to get it right. But I agree too much change is no good. So I think the biggest thing is the paint color. I will paint it a wheat/khaki. I will keep the bed where it is and move the animal cards down to make either a headboard or put on the wall next to his bed. And I will get a new longer dresser for safety reasons and put it next to his bed. But like you said, first the paint and then wait to see. We don't have room for a chair but we do cuddle up for a long while on his bed and talk and read at night. The problem is I don't feel warm and cozy in there, so there may be a real issue of design to address as well as being sensitive to is growing independence and feelings of fear.

Wow. This has all become much more complex than when I began but it's good. I'm going to involve him in all of this too so that should help.

So tell me what you all think of matching the curtains to the bedding?

Here is a link that might be useful: Madras curtains

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

You've had some excellent suggestions and I think you'll have a very nice bedroom.

I don't know how creative you want to be, but your blue walls remind me of a child's room on the old HGTV show, Room by Room. They were always painting the bottom of the wall green and top blue, then adding a tree or other outdoor scenes. It could be fun to try and when he outgrows it, just paint over it.

As for the curtains and the bedspread, I think they are a little cold and too old for him. A Walmart style theme could be easy to do and affordable. A new bedspread and curtains would really help make it cozy. Also, boys that age often seem to like jungle themes, farms or race cars :) Have you seen those rugs that are covered with little racetracks for cars?

As for the planets and alphabet cards, I think putting the cards lower on the wall would help, or maybe all on one wall. The planets are cool, but maybe not over the bed, as they might make weird shadows at night.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Ask the kid what he thinks would make the room nicer.

• lisaag98
    13 years ago

We re-did my 4 year old boy's bedroom about six months ago (when he was 3.5), and I have a few suggestions for things that have worked well for us.

I got one of those French memo boards, hung it at his eye level, and added a bunch of pictures of family. This is by far his favorite thing. I also added a big wall clock and another bigger bulletin board (where I have a Thomas calendar, his school classroom calendar, and a few other things he likes to look at). I like the fact that these things are good learning tools for him, in addition to being super cute in his room. One more thing that was really useful - I put a bunch of hooks on the wall behind his door, high ones for me to hang stuff, and low ones where he can hang his hats, soccer ribbons, backpack, etc.

His room is painted a khaki color called Tobacco Road, which is so cozy in his room. He has a red bookshelf, navy quilt, white furniture, and navy kid's chair. He loves it, and so do most adults!

Here is a link that might be useful: Memo Board

• lindac
    13 years ago

My first suggestion would eb to hem up the curtains to just a hair below the window trim...then they wouldn't get stuck behind the book shelf.
    For safety, get a shorter dresser....lower and wider....and don't worry about big sweeping changes just now....but he's only still a toddler....how about a mesh bag of stuffed animals on the foot of his bed....since he surely doesn't need more than half the bed...;)
    And get some kookie spread he likes...thinking a giant bear...at that age we got our son one that made his bed look like a car...How about some favorite cartoon character? no it's not "house beautiful" but if it makes a little boy feel cozy for a year or so, it's worth it.
    Linda C

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

One thing I have found when doing a small child's room -- put his/her name somewhere. It personalizes their space and confirms it's their's. I'm really not into psycho-babble, but it does work. A wall plaque, a pillow...

• lisaag98
    13 years ago

I second paintergirl's suggestion of putting the child's name somewhere. I had my son's name embroidered on his chair, and he instantly recognized it as his personal space.

One other thing we did that he loves is put a small fishtank on his dresser with just a few fish, he loves having "his" pet to take care of in his room.

• shawnamichelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

paintergirl and onecatonedog I guess this picture doesn't have it, but he does have his name above his dresser in big letters, and again near the door on a plaque. I too think that makes a difference. Thanks for mentionning it!

Lindac,thank for the suggestions. My son sure does like cars so we'll see what we can find!

Onecatonedog, what brand is Tabacco Road? I'd like to check it out. I love your decorating ideas too.

Lazygardens, yes, I should ask him! LOL! I did tonight and he told me the planets looked like monsters at night.

Lavenderlass you were right on that!

And he told me a few other odds and ends. We're going to move the alphabet cards down, per his request.

I'll keep you all posted! Thanks for the great ideas!