SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

Murry self propelled drive bearing

Saypoint zone 6 CT
14 years ago

My Mom has an 11 year old Murray model 20656X8A that blew out one of the bearings that carries the "axle" (that's what it's called in the parts list, the wheels actually aren't on it). The "axle" carries the pulley and gears that drive the wheels, and the bearings are set into holes in the wheel height adjusters and held in place with a C-clip.

The axle is available for about $16, but the only way to get the bearings is to buy the entire wheel height adjuster with bearings installed, for about $60 each. The left bearing is gone, the right is sloppy. The belt also got shredded a bit when the front wheels locked up on her.

If I can find just the bearings somewhere, I can replace those, the axle, and the belt, and she should be good to go for a while. Mom is 84 and I don't know how much longer she's going to mow (she insists on doing it herself) and I'd hate for her to have to buy a new mower if we can fix her old one.

Any ideas on where to find a bearing that will fit this without having to buy the whole adjuster assembly?

TIA for any advice.

Jo

Comment (1)