SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k0nna

Honda HRA214 SX blade drive repair

k0nna
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I saw some earlier discussions related to HRA214 here so here's another question...

I have an old HRA214 mower which has worked well for 20 years at least. Last year, when I was mowing with it, the blade clutch ("roto-stop") cable suddenly snapped and detached from the lever.

I tried to pull the cable manually but it is very stiff and needs lots of force. The blade starts when pulled with enough force but it sounds like the engine needs to put lots of power to run it. As far as I remember the engine stopped at least once when I tried to pull the cable. Also, I think it makes some faint scratching or grinding sounds when the blade is running?

Turning the blade manually isn't easy either. It is also very stiff so could there be a bearing failure?

The engine runs well and the self-propelled drive works without problems.

How should I continue examining the problem? I already removed the blade and the turbine. There are apparently four (?) plates in the clutch: a bell-shaped plate on the top, a straight one on the bottom (the blade is attached to this) and two plates between them. These two plates are normally engaged and when the cable is pulled they seem to disengage.

Is it necessary to remove the engine in order to disassemble the clutch?

I found many spare parts for sale on the internet but I'd not like to blindly buy them so any help is appreciated! I'm not an expert with these lawnmowers but this is a very good mower so I'd like to fix it if possible.

Comments (8)