SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazozita

Is Honda worth $100 more than Tecumseh?

hazozita
16 years ago

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who has posted here in the past. Wonderful resource!

IÂm trying to decide between a LawnBoy 10683 with the Tecumseh engine and a 10694 with the Honda GVC 160. The price differential is a little over $100 to get the Honda engine. Since the two mowers are virtually the same other than the engine, IÂm in a quandary as to whether itÂs worth the bucks to get the Honda.

Is the Tecumseh engine a good choice? Is it something IÂll be able to get 10+ years out of?

My current mower is a Murray with a 5HP Briggs and Stratton. The engine runs perfectly  has started on the first pull 99% of the time since day 1, and I canÂt ever remember pulling more than twice. The body of the mower, however, is a disaster  yet another wheel disintegrated last week, and IÂm fed up with repairs. So, time to get a mower with a body that will last as long as the engine. I have a Honda engine on my pressure washer and it runs like a champ. But $100 is not a trivial difference.

Very impressed with the user features of the LB Â it's getting hard to find premium features in a push mower. I strongly prefer those over self propelled, but it seems most manufacturers save their best features for the self-propelled models.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone may have.

Comments (37)