SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

what do you think of this idea for a community orchard?

Mindyw3
12 years ago

There is a small piece of land At the edge of my neighborhood that is for sale and has been for years. The owner has to now it and has gotten notices of violation before. It's very small Nd in an awkward shape and spot (right along a creek and triangular). I doubt it will ever get sold and I'm sure the owner pays taxes on it. Anyway my idea is see if the owner would let the neighborhood use it wither in exchange for maintaining it or in exchange for paying part or all of the taxes. Then my idea is to ask all the neighbors (probably 150 households) if they would each pay 10 a year or something to have a small neighborhood orchard. So we would purchase trees, we could probably fi10 dwarf trees, and maybe some brambles or alpine strawberries. Is also suggest a rain garden along the tree line for looks and to protect the creek. It would be walking distance for everyone. I don't know if the owner would have to get different zoning or anything or if there would be any tax break for him. Of course the whole idea hinges on how cooperation... Any thoughts, suggestions, etc? I'm an environmental scientist so I always Aw empty Qwest lots and try to think of ways to make better use of them.

Comments (20)