SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tooltime79

Question about Tecumseh Engine on Lawn Boy

12 years ago

I have a 2004 model Lawn Boy with the 6.5 HP Tecumseh. Like I do every spring I changed the oil and cleaned the air filter. Also sharpened the blade and cleaned the deck and greased the zerks. Same maintenance every season.

It was running perfect, starting on the first pull ect. I was mowing the front yard yesterday and the engine just shut off like I let loose of the engine kill handle.

The first thing I checked was to see if the cable broke, it didn't. It still moves the lever on the engine that kills it.

It wouldn't fire at all. I pulled the plug, and admittedly I cannot remember the last time I replaced it-maybe never. I went and purchased a new plug for it. No spark at all.

I have done some research and found a youtube video of someone who said he picks up Toro mowers from curbsides all the time and finds they need a new coil (they are always powered by the Tecumseh 6.5HP just like mine).

It seems pretty easy to replace, do you guys think that is the problem with my mower? The part is $14.99 and I really don't want to waste that money if it's not it.

Thanks.

Comments (6)