SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garedneck_gw

Unsatisfied w/fruit quality, try it another year or new tree?

garedneck
13 years ago

I am trying to decide when enough is enough and you remove a fruit tree/bush after giving it enough time to prove itself. I assume if you take good care of the tree each year (prune, spray, mulch, etc.) you generally should know after a couple crops what to expect as far as quality of fruit despite the variability of the weather?

Also, for example with a Fuji apple tree that could be purchased from more than 30 online vendors , should they all taste the same since it is the "same apple" or will root stock or some other variability in how the tree is produced effect taste? I realize that the same fuji apple grown in the North Georgia apple growing hills will probably taste better than my Atlanta grown fuji as my climate is not ideal for apples?

I know you can't judge a fruit tree too quickly as i have had excellent elberta peaches the first year and mealy elberta peaches the second year, and guess the variability was due to weather or something in the way i cared for the tree, but the tree has potential to yield great fruit so I will still keep it. Should i expect the fruit quality to generally be the same or improve with time over the maybe 20 year producing life of this tree?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz