SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestlawn

Problem with dandelions?

bestlawn
16 years ago

Problems with dandelions are popping up (no pun intended) everywhere, and FlyinBrian's picture of lawn and testimony to CGM sparked comments about dandelions.

What we all need to know is dandelions are a perennial plant, and that means it will come back in its season. I don't know for sure, but I do think those who do not practice organic methods of lawncare tend not to be as plagued with dandelions as those who do. I imagine the reason is the Scott's (or other brand) late spring fertilizer application w/ weed control, which takes care of the weeds before they go to seed and pretty much helps to prevent their return the following year because it kills them. That doesn't prevent them altogether since a thick, healthy, and well-maintained lawn is the best defense.

One thing to know as organic turfgrass managers is that your job to prevent dandelions is more up to you (manual) than relying on anything preventive, and it is ongoing. Once you get an upper hand, which is really just one initial season of aggressive attack, the task won't be so difficult from that point. But, you have to understand how dandelions grow and spread, which makes this weed pretty smart, to say the least.

Dandelions grow from root pieces and from seeds. When pulling them, you have to be sure to get the whole root system. Any portion left behind will allow the plant to reproduce itself. Unlike many other weeds, dandelions are deep-rooted and complex. There is the taproot, which makes it able to grow a foot or more into the gound and many other roots can stem from it, so leaving large portions is easy to do without diligence. No amount of pre-m - corn gluten meal and no other - can help you with this part.
{{gwi:94551}} {{gwi:94552}}

Because they also grow from seeds, it's best to eradicate the plant before it produces seeds. Seed production occurs when the yellow flower turns into the grayish-white puffy balls, so your best opportunity for control is now while you still see the yellow flowers. Once they turn puffy, you will notice each little seed looks like an airplane. In effect, that is exactly what is and easily becomes airborne. The wind can carry the seeds for miles, so you know your neighbor's lawnful (did I make up of new word? LOL) of dandelions poses a threat so close at hand every year.
{{gwi:94553}} {{gwi:94554}}

A weed hound is very helpful and here are organic weed control products that might help.

The seeds germinate the following spring when temps are favorable. Just like grass seeds, dandelion seeds need light and moisture. When reseeding your lawn, you'd initially mow the grass lower to expose the seeds to light and you'd water frequently to keep them moist. With spring weed seeds, the opposite is true. Keep the grass high to shade out the sun and water infrequently so the seeds dry out. This is also the time corn gluten meal and other pre-m products are useful.

My mention of a thick, healthy, and well-maintained lawn cannot be neglected and is as simple as properly mowing and watering, as well as overseeding. These work in concert to crowd weeds, leaving little space for them grow.

Incidentally, dandelion leaves are delicious. Yes, I mean you can eat them. Before the yellow flowers appear are when they are tastiest. They have a slightly bitter taste, but I found that a nice addition with other garden greens in a salad with a little cheese, chicken breast, and strawberries. I was reluctant, but a friend made if for me and convinced me to try it. Enjoyable! There are many recipes on the net if anyone is interested.

Additionally, dandelion as an herb has useful medicinal properties and is known to help with liver problems. Can I interest anyone in a cup of dandelion tea? Okay, I never tried that one. LOL

Comments (5)