SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Leaf curl prevention, miniature peaches and Tri-Lite

eukofios
15 years ago

Hi Fruit experts, I have 2 questions. I think it's time to think about preventing leaf curl. It nearly wiped out my miniature peach trees this year. I got one peach from Garden Gold, and none from Honey Babe. El-Dorado gave me 3 peaches, but I had just planted it this year and it is only 2 feet tall. This tiny tree did not have leaf curl, but since it was a bare root that I planted in February, I assume it was stored in a shed and did not have rain exposure during the winter.

{{gwi:124798}}

This Honey-Babe almost died. It recovered completely, but no peaches!

I think that some sources recommend covering the trees for the winter. Since these are miniature trees, I can probably do that.

Does covering the trees with a plastic tarp prevent curl?

Will covering with a tarp kill the trees?

If I do that, should I wait for leaves to fall first? That might be december here.

If covering won't prevent curl, is there an organic regimen that will work? I can definitely say that neem failed miserably for leaf curl.

I assume that any spray regimen would need to wait for the leaves to fall?

Tri-Lite is a peach-plum hybrid. Will the plum genes give resistance to curl? I planted this one this year, so it may not get any peaches, but I'd prefer that it not be killed with leaf curl next spring.

Thanks a lot for your advice! These are delicious peaches, but that curl is a problem!

Comments (5)