SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slingblade1177

St. Augustine lawn help

slingblade1177
10 years ago

Hey guys,

I posted here about a year ago and got some good advice so I'm trying again. I bought St. Augustine sod for my lawn and I planted it in late September last year as instructed by you guys. I used a dethatcher before laying the sod and that seemed to do a good job.

I now have patchy areas in my lawn. The sod was in pretty good shape when I got it but some of the pieces weren't as green. Anyway, I'm not sure why my lawn is so patchy. My dad seems to think it will fill in eventually, but I'm having a hard time believing that.

As of spring, I watered once a week. We got some decent rain throughout the spring, but not so much in the last month, so this last week I started watering twice a week. I do have a sprinkler system that my dad and I installed and I run each zone roughly 30 minutes.

I got lazy and paid for fertilizer service. They started in January and have done about 4 treatments. There are 4 more to go. I honestly don't know what each one was, but I'm sure it's your typical lawn service fertilizer program. I should add that I'm in the North Texas area. I live in Frisco, Texas.

I will say that the areas that seem to be the most patchy are areas where there is not much shade. The shaded areas seems to be doing ok. You might be able to tell in the last pic that my neighbors yard is completely shaded and their St. Augustine is great. They laid their sod two years ago.

I have attached pics. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? Thanks

{{gwi:94024}}

{{gwi:94026}}

{{gwi:94028}}

Comments (10)