SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcpenny

New Lawn Equipment and the EPA

McPenny
12 years ago

I bought a new piece of lawn equipment over the weekend. Sadly, it was hard to start and would die when I tried to accelerate. It was new gas, new oil and the cutting blade wasn't jammed. The manual referred me to the engine manual where I could find information on adjusting the carburetor. The engine manual didn't come with the machine.

I called the manufacturer. Their response was that the manual is no longer included because the end user is not authorized to make the adjustments any more to keep the engine operating within EPA guidelines. His proposed resolution was to take the brand new device to an authorized service dealer and have it adjusted - at my expense.

I thanked him for his time and said that my visit to a service center wouldn't be necessary because I would be returning the machine later today.

I was hoping that by venting my frustration in typing this little post that I would feel better. But, I find that I'm just getting angrier. Maybe while I'm in the tool shed getting that lawn equipment to return, maybe I should grab a pitchfork and torch.

What do you think?

Comments (37)