SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carusoswi

Lawnboy 6431 won't start cold

carusoswi
16 years ago

So, in another post, I related how happy I am with my old '87 LB after unplugging the exhaust ports thanks to info found on this forum.

Perhaps someone can troubleshoot this new, minor, but annoying problem. My mower refuses to start when cold . . . when it has not run for a week. In order to start it, I have to tip it on its side, take out the plug, squirt a drop or two of fuel into the cylinder, replace the plug, and pull the starter cord. It will start on the first or second pull in this way. Once it has run, I can start it even when it has nor run for an hour or so. Even when hot, it won't start unless I choke it, and that seems a bit odd to me, also.

I know the choke is functional, because, when running, if I move the throttle control to the choke position, the engine will flood out and begin to stall until I return the throttle control to its normal position.

So, what do you think is causing this behavior and how do I correct it?

Having to prime when cold isn't a huge demand from a 21-year old mower, but it is less than gracious. I'd like her to be perfect if possible.

Suggestions welcome.

Caruso

Comments (7)