SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningheidi

Ugly, coarse grass taking over my lawn.

GardeningHeidi
9 years ago

Help! We have spent SO. MUCH. MONEY having our lawn dug up, installed with a sprinkler system, and reseeded because we heard that was how you support the good grass, which chokes out the bad grass. But this ugly, coarse, painful grass is still taking over everything! I've tried to google how to get rid of it, but since I'm not sure what kind of grass it is, I'm having a hard time getting information. Its REALLY hard to pull up, and doing that doesn't seem to do any good. It just comes right back! We have about 20 times as much as we did last year, and I shudder to think what the rest of the summer will bring. Weed and feed doesn't touch the stuff because, botanically speaking, it's grass, and professional lawn care treatments have not helped with it either. We've tried mowing high and watering deep because supposedly that nourishes the good grass and deprives the bad grass of light and water, but that hasn't worked. I know that Roundup is the devil's own poison, but I'm about to throw caution to the wind and just keep zapping the daylights out of every strand of this stuff I see for the next eight seasons. Is there any help? What else can I do?

Comments (11)