SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Best and worst of new 2013 fruits

I had several things fruit for the first time this year. Here's by ratings.

Orangered apricot: a 10 for flavor but so far weak on production. I'm hoping for a full crop with more chilling this winter.

Crimson Royale pluot: an 8 for both flavor and production. The flavor is different and unique.

Snow Queen nectarine: Can't go over 7 on this. Very sweet but lacking in flavor. Good production and medium size.

Craig's Crimson sweet cherry: Another 7 for flavor and size. No more than an average cherry. They all make upper 20s brix and this fits right in.

Ruby Kat pluot: A 5 or 6 and who cares. Don't go out of your way looking for this one.

Sweet Bagel donut peach: My first donut and I was under whelmed. Every fruit is running 13.5-14 brix with average flavor and texture. In my book that's a 4 overall. The only plus is it's very late, just harvesting in the greenhouse.

Flavor Royale pluot: Another 4. Supposed to be earlier and sweeter than Flavor Supreme, ha! A dismal failure on both counts. But worse yet it doesn't deserve the flavor moniker.

Sweet Treat pluerry: I'll be generous and give this a 3. 24 brix and 20 grams doesn't add up to much. Maybe it will grow up next year. If not good riddance.

Tardirouge apricot: Dry and mealy gets you a 2. Isn't working for me.

Always remember YMWV...your mileage will vary!!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting