SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harri320

New Tall Fescue in NC seems to be going limp

harri320
14 years ago

Hi folks, this is my first time posting here and first time planting a new lawn. In early april I cleared a 2,000 sqft area, tilled it to 6 inches, added compost and topsoil, lime, fertilizer, then compacted seeded and covered with light straw. The seed was Rebel shade variety tall fescue. The area I planted is fairly shady. The new grass sprouted at about 10 days and came in very plush and fairly thick - better than I had anticipated. It went to about 4-5 inches and I mowed (about the 3 week point). Now, there are areas that are growing really well - thick and straight with thickening blades. There are some patches - 10sq ft or so - that seem to be excessively limp and tangled without the spryness of the rest of the grass. I am trying to figure out if this is a bad sign or not. There was one small area like that where the grass just went limp and died and it is now essentially bare. I couldn't see any obvious fungus, but not sure what happened. My watering schedule was 2x daily until the first mowing, since I have been doing once daily of fairly heavy water, but there have been no puddles. Could I still be over watering, especially in light of the shade? Any advice would be greatly appreciate. I anticipate that if the limp areas stay that way, they will die and I will be left with a very patchy lawn until I can reseed in the fall.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES