SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Plums 2013

Scott F Smith
10 years ago

How did your plums do this year? I had several varieties fruit for the first time, here is my log info.

Spring Satin Very good as usual, aromatic flesh and similar to Flavor Supreme in flavor - a great super-early plum! Squirlz got most of them however. I classify this as a plum because besides the bit of fuzz and the earliness its a plum in every other respect. Don't let it overset, they are bland then.

Earli Magic - A very good plum, when left to hang they have a very good flavor. Not tart, more on the aromatic side. That plus earliness makes them a winner, probably a notch better than Spring Satin.

Purple Heart - These guys hang purple a long time before softening - it makes it hard to keep all the critters off of them. I did not thin enough, the fruits want to be large so it needs more thinning than Satsuma. Taste is very similar to Satsuma, not exactly all the same flavors but many common ones and every bit as good as Satsuma. Good as an earlier, larger, just as reliable version of Satsuma, and one of my favorites. I have no idea why this plum is not more popular.

Beauty - An early one was fine but too early to tell much.

Shiro - This is an extremely reliable yellow plum. They are not as flavorful as some of the best but when left to hang a long time they are a nice refreshing treat.

Santa Rosa - Excellent as usual and I got a good crop of them. Will probably need to start thinning next year, every year the fruit set has increased until now its almost to overset.

Flavor Supreme - one excellent fruit on the whole tree.

Weeping SR - In a crammed spot but produces a few great fruits, better than SR by a notch.

Lavinia - I only had a few and some critter got most so only ate not fully ripe ones, but they are looking to be an EXCELLENT plum.. They have an unusual flavor that I call papaya for lack of a better class; its something papaya-ish. Barely turning red at ripening time, very orange flesh. Satsuma sized is their only weakness, no bug etc problems on them.

Flavor King - Birds pecking before they are fully ripe. It also cracked. At least it didn't rot since I sprayed MFF this year. Overall this guy is too much work for my climate and it will probably get removed this winter.

Satsuma - Excellent as usual, overall my favorite because of the huge load, long ripening window, and very good flavor and texture. Produces a huge tasty crop even if not thinned well. I gave some Satsuma plum jam to a friend and they thought I had added cloves to the jam recipe, that is how noticeable the clove flavor is.

Fortune - these plums are red forever and never seem to ripen. I had one that was sort of ripe that was a decent but not great plum. The tree is not setting well.

RubyQueen - This tree set few plums this year after I let it overset last year. Still, even with only a few fruits they had no flavor. Thats two years out of three with no good flavor on this tree, so I removed it.

Pearl - An excellent Euro plum if it would only produce.

French Petite - Flavor excellent when fully ripe; too many bug problems on it however.

Laroda - A late plum something like Santa Rosa. Did not get enough fruits to get a firm opinion but if it starts setting more it could be a good one.

Mariposa - A late red-fleshed plum that seems very good; more experience needed.

Flavor Grenade - Big elongated fruits, great set, and I had no rot this year with MFF. They are good but too much a "sweet candy" taste for me. The tree still has most of the plums hanging and they are improving so the final word is not in yet on this one. Anyway, for a pluot in my climate its awesome, besides the rotting it is reliable and does not crack.

Middleburg - An excellent Euro plum.

None of my Euros produced many fruits, I mis-pruned them for many years (the trees were too closely planted and I left on too many scaffolds and shoots) and turned them into wood machines. Also the curc and OFM really go after them, and the green aphids make a total mess every May and seem to set the trees back all summer. I greatly prefer the Japanese types based on all these problems with the Euros. Its too bad because nothing can beat the rich sweetness of a good tree-ripened European plum.

I added a bunch of new California plums a few years ago and they are starting to fruit now. I am pleasantly surprised that they are not rotting/cracking very much, and bacterial spot has been fine on most of them, but none of them has produced well so far.

Scott

This post was edited by scottfsmith on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 20:04

Comments (56)