SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s10sleeper

Ants and grubs are killing my grass

s10sleeper
11 years ago

I have been trying to establish a new lawn, I have been using bermuda grass in some areas along with tall fescue, also have been putting in a mixture of buffalo and tall fescue in the sunny areas. Main reason for the fescue is just to get something growing as the buffalo will take awhile. I also am using fescue in the shady areas. I would like to have the entire lawn as buffalo as I love the look of it, the fact that it is native here, and you actually do not have to mow it. Along with that, the fact that it is drought tolerant and goes dormant in droughts.

Anyways, I keep finding little anthills forming with the little black ants, and everywhere they form results in a bare spot. Also wherever I find grubs the grass has trouble.

I went through a bag of Spectracide on the lawn with no luck, proving my thought that the brand is no good as the herbicides were also very weak, much less active ingredients.

I am now going to try ortho's grub and ant granules applied it 2 days ago so far it has done nothing to the hills. I spray insecticidal soap directly on them and it kills the ants that contact it, but not the entire clan. I have tried using ortho home defense max with little luck, as they just build a new hill.

My next idea is to try my tried and true cockroach killer, half boric acid powder and half powdered sugar, and sprinkle it on their hills to see if there is any luck. My concern is they are gradually getting closer to the house and are now crawling on my deck. The house I can control, but at 27 dollars a pound for buffalo grass, it is irritating me that they are doing this. I have a couple days to fight them before seeding more as it is supposed to be rainy for 2 days and cooler, plus I need to fix my tractor mower to run my roller after spreading the seed and also need to soak the grass for a couple days with water and phosphorous

Comments (5)