SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Rider or Self Propelled Walk for Slopes

whaas_5a
13 years ago

This seems to be an age old question but I can't find any good info out there. I have a fully exposed basement so both sides of the yard are about 15-20 degree slopes.

First I start with Home Depot. They say I can easily get a $1500 price point JD for the slopes. I'm thinking I'm set.

Then I go to demo a comparable model at a dealer and he says I need to get a $3000 price point model as they have stronger transmissions. He said if I get an entry level rider the tranny will blow out in a few years going up and down those slopes.

Now I'm thing $3000 for a rider to cut grass on a .5 acre...probably only 1/3 acre after you factor in the house, the drive and the landscape beds.

Now I start looking at these 34" self propelled walkers from Gravely ($1500 price point). Looks promising but the dealer tells me they can be a pain to put in and out of forward and reverse for smaller areas because of the size of the mower(think about mowing around the AC, the deck, the corners of the garage and all around the house).

Now I'm back to the basic self-propelled mower, like a Toro personal pace mower ($400 price point). Looks like it might do the trick as its light enough to make it up the hills. But they don't have reverse. So people complain about pivoting and the pull action as they are a tank to move manually.

I am so confused as to what to purchase here. Any thoughts?

Comments (18)