SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vfxguy

Craftsman Lawn Mower Dies after a few seconds

vfxguy
14 years ago

I have a Craftsman 21" 4.5hp mulching mower. It's been running fine for about 3 years and then it started dying a few minutes after starting up. The problem worsened until it would only run for a few seconds before dying. Sounded like a fuel problem to me.

I decided that it was time for a general tune up on the mower anyway so I went in and tried to clean out the carburetor installled a new spark plug, drained and replaced the oil, drained the gasoline and replaced with fresh gas, replaced the air filter and swapped a new blade since the old one was dull. The problem still kept happening.

I then ordered a replacement carb from sears parts. After it arrived I installed it and fired up the lawnmower. It ran for around 5 minutes (just enough time to start mowing an overgrown lawn) and then died. It's back to running for a few seconds and dying again.

I don't see a fuel filter anywhere and I figured that after I replaced all the various parts of the mower including a new carb that I would have solved the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm frustrated and don't want a simple lawnmower engine to win the battle against me.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (23)