SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venividibitchy

Spider plant rescue and question on placement

13 years ago

Hi folks,

I could use a little advice regarding my spider plant, which is looking a little sorry.

At first, it suffered from tip blackening, but I now know much better, so I always leave out my watering cans overnight. It was doing alright, otherwise, and even produced one baby spider, but then, it lost a bunch of leaves the other day that were lighter-colored, soggy, and thin. Those that remain are darker green, and look okay, I think. After clipping back all the damage, though, I barely have a plant left, and I'm getting a little discouraged.

Is it not getting enough light? It gets light from two windows (West and North), about 4' away, and I only water it when it's dry a few inches down. Sometimes, I give it a light mist. Should I be keeping it moister, maybe? It seems to dry out quickly, and I do live in the desert....

I'm also curious what the word is on spider plants being placed outdoors in a warm climate like mine (9a)?

I've seen a few beautiful examples in town, but I worry that my patio might not get enough light (faces west, but a facing building and big tree cause dappled light), or that it gets too cold at night (42-48F for the next 10 days), or that their plants are just more hardier and mature.

Should I notice any new growth in winter, anyway?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County