SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19720659

rose rescue plants

9 years ago

Yesterday, I was given some roses that had been- for unknown reasons- abandoned by the person who had propagated them.

For more than a year, the roses were in dense shade under some pines, and were not fed or watered. There were four plants in 1-g pots, and all I know about what varieties they might be is that the person who propagated them probably got her cuttings from old roses in downtown Charleston.

I took home the two worst-looking plants (I'll go back for the other two tomorrow or Saturday), pulled out a number of volunteer pines and weeds, got rid of what looked like spider mite webs, repotted the plants with good compost, and watered with some Sea-Hume (a local liquid seaweed and humic acid plant 'conditioner').

Since the plants were in such dense shade, I'm planning to keep them in a place where they'll get part-sun for a week or two- just so that they aren't stressed by an abrupt transition to a sunny location.

I'm hoping that someone here can advise me about what to do next. The plants look pretty crummy, but I feel like I should probably wait until I see signs of growth before I think about pruning? Or maybe it would be better to cut them back now?

These plants clearly have survival skills, and I really want to help them make the transition from surviving to thriving. The hitch is that I don't have much experience with roses, so am not sure if I should go with a baby steps approach, or try some tough love instead.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Virginia

PS- Looking at the photo, the rose on the left has more foliage, and is about 1.5' high. The less leafy rose is larger- more than 2' high, and its main cane branches near the base.

Comments (16)