SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orcascove

What to do with a Rescued Rose - I need advise.

Orcascove
16 years ago

I received a rose from a girl who didn't want it at her new place. I have no idea what kind it is, climber, bush, wild, grafted. She has no idea either... but I do know she tried to cut it out with a shovel unsuccessfully. So she then dug it up and threw it away. (My mom found out what she did, and told her she could have given it to me, Why I have no idea, because I dable in gardening I suppose.) So the girl dug it out of the garbage can and put it in a pot, and delivered it to my door about a week later. Needless to say It has been through a lot of stress already. It has a deep slice in the middle where she hacked it with a shovel, and it is potted in a 10 inch pot with dirt from her garden. I don't even know if it has roots to tell the truth, she could have cut them off digging it up. But I am going to assume it does and try to keep it alive. If I have any hope of saving it, I need to know what to do. I really don't know anything about roses, and am not sure what to do in this situation. I can use all the help I can get. Is it to cold outside to plant now? I live in Columbus Ohio. Since it is almost Christmas, snow and ice has fallen, but it's melted away, so the ground is soft and muddy. But more snow is due to arrive in about 2 days. So there is no time for roots to grow and I am concerned about that. If it is too cold what should I do with it? Should I leave it in the dirt it's in, or repot it in potting soil? How big does the pot need to be? If its a big one, should I try to use the soil it's in, and add to it with what? Does it need to be kept warm under a grow light? Or do I keep in the cool garage dark dormant type enviroment? What about the damage, anything I should do to help it heal? I don't want this poor little rose to suffer anymore because of my ignorance, and I need to do something quick because based on the girls time line it has been in a pot for over a week (probably more like 2), and it is starting to turn brown in spots.

Comments (6)