SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck60

Carpathian walnuts grafts vs seedling

chuck60
14 years ago

I have three grafted Carpathian walnuts I bought from Starks in 2005, Lake, Champion and Northern Prize. All are fruiting this year for the first time (though I did get one nut in 2006 from the Champion). The Northern Prize is stunted (about 4' tall vs 12' or so for the other two) due to some fool planting it in the shade of a big elm tree, but it does have one nut on it. The Lake and Champion have maybe 15 nuts between them. I also have a seedling walnut from Millers that I planted in 2006 which is quickly catching up to the Lake and Champion and has far surpassed the Northern Prize in growth, though without any nuts so far. I planted five pecans in 2004 and so far have gotten two nuts last year and none this year. The upshot of all this is that I really like the walnuts! I'm 60 and I hope to actually get to eat some of my own pecans before I shuffle off, but I can clearly have more hope for the walnuts. So, my question is, are the nuts from the Miller seedling likely to rival the grafted varieties? According to Millers (Naturally) they should. The seedlings are much cheaper and seem to grow well, so I am tempted to put in a few more of them. BTW, the one walnut I got in 2006 was quite tasty. Seemed less bitter than some of the commercial ones I have eaten.

Chuck

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH