SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Response to Harvestman

hoseman
12 years ago

Harvestman,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on a couple of questions from other posts.

Reference the brown rot, why did I question Scott Smith or something to that nature by agreeing with Jean001a. Unfortunately, being in a hurry as I often am I only used my one disease reference books and brown rot was not mentioned as a disease of apples here in Virginia. That is the "Mid-Atlantic Monitoring Guide" published by Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service Cooperative Extension, Ithaca, New York. So, that is why I agreed with Jean about Brown Rot not being an apple disease.

I stand corrected!

Secondly, why was I disappointed with Virginia Vintage Apple. I ordered a Virginia Hewes Crab from them last fall for Spring shipment. They shipped the tree in December. It was during our coldest part of December and the ground was frozen solid. Plus the out door temperatures did not go above freezing for a few days. I had to pot the tree at considerable expense. The shipping was already more than I pay other vendors. To add insult to injury, the tree ended up dying this spring. I do believe they will replace it after talking to them this year. I have visited their orchard and met the family, took some classes there a few years ago. I agreed with you that they are nice people. But, business is business. I don't have money to throw away.

Again, sorry I took so long to answer your questions.

Also, I got my first year's harvest from the Macoun. You asked that I let you know what I think about this apple from a post of mine a year ago about the Macoun. I am a little disappointed with the apple. I believe I took Jellylman's suggestion that it is a better tree for Virginia than the McIntosh. The Macs drop there apples here. The Macoun dropped some but nowhere near the Mac. I don't like an extra sweet, aromatic, crunchy apple. I have since found that Macoun is one of the parents of the Honeycrisp. Just another store bought apple in my opinion!

I try to grow apples that are not readily available in the store. I will confess to growing Granny Smith, but mine are so much better than the store bought ones! I decide when to pick them.

Comments (5)