SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourstringdrums

Finishing my first spring cleanup - Pretty satisfied

fourstringdrums
16 years ago

Well this year (actually last year I made the decision) I decided that I'm not hiring anyone to do my cleanup. So today I took my lawn sweeper, new Brinly tow behind dethatcher and went to work. I didn't get all the dead grass and thatch, I know that, but I did get about 5 trash bags full.

I got hit hard with Snow mold (pink and gray) all over the property, and the lawn was looking pretty bad. But after first dragging around the sweeper, then dethatching, then sweeping again, the lawn looks somewhat improved unless it's just the relief that I'm pretty much done. I still have brown spots all over the place and one large brown patch that I slowly see new sprouts popping up in and the area closing up. Unfortunately though there is a 3-4 foot wide length in front of my house in front of my bushes that curves around the house slightly that I will have to reseed. The sweeper exposed too much soil and didn't leave much grass. The grass was so matted here I couldn't even rake it so I'm not surprised. I'm thinking what's left may green up but I'm not sure.

So tomorrow I have to put down fertilizer and a pre-emergent, but I'll probably skip the pre-emergent in this area, and an area where I have heavy damage from pink snow mold, and rake up the soil a bit and then seed. I know spring isn't the best time to do it, but I had an area seeded by a landscaper last spring and it came up fine. I just kept it watered about twice a day for the first month...and that was in mid May so I'm getting a months head start. If that area was going to stay looking bad until fall anyway I'd rather at least give it a shot at improving it until I can overseed then. If any weeds pop up I'll treat them after the grass has been cut about 4 times. No biggie.

Just thought I'd share :) I should post some pics to show progress.

Comments (3)