SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Cyclamens - Never grown them before

eahamel
12 years ago

I've always admired cyclamens, but never tried to grow any because I assumed they wouldn't survive long in our hot climate. Then in November, I saw one planted in a large pot, obviously had been there more than a year, and survived our heat just fine. So, I've gotten some. I'm going to put them in a large pot along with a couple other things, and am wondering what to do with them when they go out of bloom.

I've seen some really spectacular ones at one nursery, but didn't get any because of the cost. They were large, 6" pots, for 8.99. I got a couple of smaller ones in 4" pots for $4.99. I read something about some being miniatures - could these in 4" pots be miniatures? Or are they just smaller ones that haven't grown up yet. I know that's hard to answer without seeing them. I'm really tempted to get one or two of the big ones - some had ruffled petals, and there was a variety that had leaves that were mostly whitish with a ring of darker green in the center - really outstanding.

I also found some at Lowe's, regularly $2.98, but some of them seem to have been dried out at one point because they had some dead, dried leaves. They were marked down to 50 cents, so of course, I had to get some. The ones I got looked okay and have buds coming on.

Any tips on how to keep these happy? Do they need to be deadheaded or fertilized to keep them blooming? What do I do when they quit blooming and start dying back?

Comments (11)