SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Does anyone have a brouvardia longisimis?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Does anyone else have one of these plants? They are very fragrant and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions if so..

Thankyou...

Mike

Comments (2)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Bouvardia is one difficult plant, Mike. But when grown in a perfect environment, they're not only lovely, but fragrant, too..

They need a lot of sun, fresh air and humidity. In late spring, pinching encourages bushy growth. They're best summered outside, but like other plants, need adapting before placing in full light.

It's been years since I had a Bouvardia..they don't sell here for some reason. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are absolutely beautiful plants when ones knows how to grow them or what to expect,lol, which I do now after a few years of trying..

I have been finding out now that every fall into winter they look like death warmed over..I always thought it was the nature for them to look horrible by this time a year and die. The older leaves turn brown and dry off, with just a few green ones left on top..Very spindley looking if you don't prune. Yes, they can even look like they are dying or look dead.

So last year I decided to keep all of them, even though they looked dead. I realized that the branches were still green, all the way to the lower trunck, void of all leaves, but there was still life..

I just stuck them in a window as usual, dead looking things they looked, just to find that they resprouted once the days grew longer and warmer..Yes. They came back last spring with a vengence..I wish I knew this is what they do, before I threw all my past ones away thinking they all died..:-(

I just found out over the weekend from the supplier I bought them at, that unless they get at least 14 hours of warm sunshine, they loose their leaves and almost go dormant..WellThey do stay green all winter, if left in a greenhouse with lots of humidity and sunlight!

I just prune mine hard, and wait for the rebirth of my babies...And boy do they flower up to the last minute all summer..Heavenly fragrance at night!

A true plant worth having on hand!