SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_lynne_gw

Rescuing Cherry Trees - Graft or Transplant?

sarah_lynne
15 years ago

There are three cherry trees/bushes on the lot next to our house along with several lilacs, native trees, and a condemned house. The whole lot is going to be bulldozed next summer to make way for a multi-use development. We live in Zone 4 on the Idaho/Wyoming border, the winters are very cold, the summers are short, and it is very dry. These cherries are survivors! The trees have not been watered, pruned, or otherwise cared for, for at least three years, but managed to produce a bumper crop this summer! I have no idea what variety they are, or I could just buy new stock for myself. They are very tasty, bright red, and small. All three trees are multi-stemmed. The largest is 6ft tall and wide. The other two are about navel height and considerably smaller. I can't see a graft union, but the new growth from the base has different looking leaves than the older, fruiting branches. Can anyone tell me what kind of cherry this is, or how to find out? Also, how can I tell for sure whether or not they are grafted?

I planted a bare-root crabapple this spring, and the grafted part died (never leafed out). I pinched off all the sprouts from below the graft union at first, but once it was apparent that the top had no life in it, I let the base leaf out and grow. Could I graft a branch from the cherry onto the crab-apple rootstock? Are they compatible?

I am planning to try transplanting the two smaller trees/shrubs in the spring before they break dormancy. Is this a reasonable idea? Is there a better way to rescue these trees?

Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Sarah

Comments (2)