SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie_lee_gw

Landscape Fabric - what a waste!

annie-lee
13 years ago

I recently bought a house with about half an acre lot, mostly partial shade under tall trees. The yard is like a jungle full of tall weeds, vines and wild rasberries, etc. As I cleared up the jungle, I noticed that the previous owner had cover the yard with landscape fabric. It was very clumbsy and annoying when trying to dig a hole to plant or transplant a new tree. As I pull up the old and now full of weed and roots fabric I can't help but cursing: what a waste! This is an example of what seems too good, but doesn't work. First of all, it turned into jungle anyway after some years of neglect. But this is what many people think that this product will bring, once installed it is maintenance free. Second, as I pull the old and tough fabric out, underneath is a bare readish soil that is full of animal tunnels and insect holes, ... not exactly a healthy ground as compared to soil with naturally decayed leaves, or a nice well tended ground cover. Anyway, I am just hoping that less people are lured to use this wasteful product. It doesn't work from what I can see.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting