SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hornetwife_gw

Mites on Fuzzy Leaves

hornetwife
16 years ago

Hi all,

Yes here I am again with more Spider Mite problems. This time they are on a Alyogyne hueglii (australian hibiscus?) and it has fuzzy leaves. Can you treat fuzzy-leaved plants the same as regular foliage when it comes to spider mites? I am afraid to do anything, but it already has webbing and it losing leaves :( Please help!

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:115440}}

Comments (9)

• jeannie7
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hornetwife, in articles about this plant it describes it as a plant that does well in Australia....out of doors...and does well grown in pots indoors.

In reading the material I do notice that the only mention of what might be described as different about the leaves is the "alyogyne hakeifolia" having spike effect to that particular variety. Your "hueglii" does not, it seems, have this about it.

Since it does grow outside, and is therefore, subject to rainfall, I cant see it being harmed by having water sprayed on it.

I think the problem with what you think about the leaves, fuzziness, might describe too the African Violet and how it should not be sprayed water on.
    The leaves, becuase they have needle effect, holds onto such moisture and if so wet in certain conditions, it can cause mildew and mold.
    I believe if you were to spray in the morning and allow the plant to dry through the day, it would come to no harm.

In any case, I know of no other way to rid spider mites from a plant other than the usual. It is certainly not a pest that can be easily picked up with fingers.
    Spraying water as a first attempt
    Spraying with a ...40 parts water to 1 part dishoap, then rinsing with tepid water after 10 minutes.
    Misting with lime sulfur or petroleum oil.

Such spraying should be done at least every 5 days for three applications. This may break the cycle of adult, eggs, larvae, adult. Then keeping vigil for a return and a quick re-application.

The added regular misting of water to add humidity can also defeat mites.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Lori, you are correct in your concern about possible problems with the treatment of a fuzzy-leaved plant. Should you decide to use a soap, oil, or other chemical product, be sure to do a leaf test first.

Insecticidal soap is kinder to leaf tissues than dish soap and more effective in controlling the pests. If you DO decide to try a home remedy, I urge you to stay away from the detergents (dish soap) and go with a real soap with as few additives as possible.

Be sure to target the underside of the leaves when you spray. Fill the plant mister up with very warm (or even hot) water. It will cool down considerably as you mist the plant.

• Related Discussions

Gray fuzzy patches--fungus, or some kind of mite?

Q

Comments (7)
    I wiped the plants down with an alcohol and water mixture, and in one spot I saw the mealy bugs, or what I think were mealy bugs--they were a bit curled up already. I didn't know about the cottony scale possibility then, or I would have saved the leaf the were on. Looking at cottony scale vs mealy bugs, some photos make me think mealy bug, some make me think scale. Most cottony scale photos don't look right, but I saw one that looks quite a bit like the bugs I saw today. Horticultural oil is supposed to be effective on both, so I will get some and try it. The bugs were on the mandevilla, an orchid, jasmines, coleus, and there was one spot of it on an aloe. There did not seem to be bugs on my passionflower, asparagus fern, or tradescantia which were also on the same table. Does this provide any useful information? Thanks for your input, everyone.
    ...See More

mites? my episcia has fuzzy and dense new growth

Q

Comments (5)
    i've been a little scared about the tight growth, so i looked at my african violets and a lot of them are growing much tighter too in same location. no mites - all good. same happened last year also. it is sort of counter-logic - they are in lower light and cooler temps with less fertilizer. but they are growing tighter as if there's too much light or too much fertilizer.
    ...See More

Lobed Leaves & Fuzzy Stems?

Q

Comments (4)
    I've looked at every Verbena species that occurs in Texas and can't find a match. Verbena bracteata has similar leaves, but only grows 20 inches and is prostrate in growth pattern. Try to get more photos when it's in bloom.
    ...See More

Fuzzy, Toothed Leaves?

Q

Comments (2)
    ^ Ah, great possibility, as Heterotheca subaxillaris (Camphorweed) is fairly common around here! :D
    ...See More
  • hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks both for advice. I knew this plant grew outdoors so I don't know why I didn't think about rain getting it wet. I put it on the sink and sprayed it down with the sink sprayer really good. Will be treating it with an insecticidal soap.
    I HATE SPIDER MITES! UGH!
    Lori

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I washed this plant down really good in the sink. I see no mites now but ever since its shower, it has been drooping and wilting. What now? You would think a plant that gets rained on in Australia wouldn't mind a shower here in the US. I think it is on the verge of dying. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:115442}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

How long have you attempted to grow this plant in your home? I'd think that it would not be best suited for that kind of environment...considering that it prefers full sun.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've had this guy for several months and it sits in a sunny window...which is great when the sun is actually shining. I read that it can be grown potted indoors. Who knows what is wrong with it. It seemed happy before it's shower (besides the Mites).
    I am just trying to hang on to it until I can put it outdoors in the Spring.
    Lori

• jeannie7
    16 years ago

Hornetwife, let's maybe think that maybe its not the spidermites fault it is wilting. Mites cause selective problems. Mites leave tell-tale proof of their being there.
    Mottled leaves, yellow or otherwise leaf dropping will be first noticed. I cant believe they can cause widespread wilting of the whole plant.
    There are other causes of such that do affect houseplants.

Wilting can come about from bad watering habits. That is, if you allow the plant to dry down too much....then water ...too much....then allow it to dry down...too much....and follow again with watering ......excessively, that will not correct wilting.

Wilting can only be allowed for a certain lenght of time...then the plant suffers.

Watering. Sometimes when soil dries out too much...it shrinks from the sides of the pot. When you water...what you think is sufficient because water is seen down at the drainage saucer, may be because the water is not reaching the roots, but is only running down the sides where the soil has shrunk.

If this is suspected, one must water to the point of immersion. Take the plant to a sink where water can be filled and where the plant, so immersed...pot and all, so that water fills all the cavities ---til the bubbles stop...and any bugs therein, have to come to the surface to breathe.

This sort of thing should be done sparingly...and is treated as a watering. The plant is allowed to dry down normally.

Wilting can come about when given too much sun or heat.
    Such dry air currents from heat vents or from a window that directs sunlight to bear too much on the plant.

To subsidize for watering....possibly too much, try misting the plant regularly. This misting can often defeat spidermites hanging around.
    Try to use an atomizer that directs a mist...instead of a general hard spray which soaks the plant. You want to give the plant some humidity....not a watering.

When you sprayed water on the leaves, surely the soil got some too...possibly too much. Whenever you spray a plant in this way for whatever reason, keep in mind the soil is getting soaked as well unless you take steps to protect it.
    Just leaning the plant over so that water runs off and away can be tried. Covering the soil surface with something to prevent its being watered is another thought.

It is common for any wilting plant, once given a good watering, to perk up within a reasonable time...usually within a couple hours. If such plant does not perk up, then look elsewhere for what is causing it.

You may have to unpot the soil and look for any sign of rotting of the roots.
    When a plant is given too much water....over an extended time, it soon stops its ability to take up nourishment.
    The roots begin to rot....and even though water surrounds them, the water just sits...and is not taken up by the plant tissue....and soon shows the effects.

I suggest Hornetwife, you think this may be what ails your plant and you should remove it from the pot and inspect it for any signs of rotting.
    Sometimes the smell will tell you right off.

If you feel this is not the case then, you can either choose to replace the soil or just re-pot it in the old soil and top up if necessary. In any case, do make sure the pot drains well.

Sometimes the kind of water we give to our plants can cause problems. Water from a tap...may be too cold. Plants don't like cold water given them. Water that is left to gain room temperature by overnight sitting is preferred.
    Water from a hard-water system....that is, from a well that is on a softening system using salt, such water is definitely not one for houseplants.
    If you have such a system....and cant go off-line for water, then use bottled water.
    Or....use instead of sodium chloride in the system, use potassium chloride...which is safe for use in houseplants.
    Ask any plumber about such a change.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of that info and brainstorming. When I showered it in the sink, I had it turned sideways so it didn't get very much water during that episode. All I know is it looked great before I gave it a shower. Even with the Mites it only had a couple of yellowing leaves. It for some reason didn't like the shower I think. That is when it wilted.
    I will look into all the other suggestions though just in case. Thanks again.
    Lori

• watergal
    16 years ago

Could the shower water have been very cold or very warm?