SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snorky_gw

Concord grape help

snorky
16 years ago

Hello - I am noew to the forum and pretty new to gardening, but I love it so far.

My first question of set of questions has to do with concord grapes. I have a vine, actually my neighbor does, that is growing into my tree and yard.

Only about 30% of the grape harvest is in my reach. I have tasted the grape and they are delicious. What I would like to do it make this vine a more permenant part of my yard. How can I get the vine to root in my yard in case my neighbor cuts the vine? Can I bury part of the vine to get roots then cut it from main part of the original vine?

To get more or a harvest in my yard, should I pull the vines from the tree and train them to grow along my fence? The neighnors do not care for the vines at all - I water, prune (as much as I can) and care for the vines --- so I do not feel bad if the majority of the fruit ends up in my yard - if they want some of the yield I will give it to them. I just want a healthy, mass producing vine that I can care from without jumping a fence or climbing a tree.

Should I cut the vines going into the trees and train the other vines or is it beneficial to keep these vines growing upward (20 feet or higher)?

Another question - Home Depot sold grape vines last year. How are these? If I plant one successfully will I see fruit within a year or will it take two years to produce.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Steven

Comments (5)