SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ed_209_gw

New to the countryside, need lawn advice

ed-209
12 years ago

Hello all,

I've read quite a few messages on this forum and it seems to be a wealth of information, so I'm hoping some kind souls out there can help me with some advice. Last summer, I bought a house on 2 acres in south-east MI. This is my first house with anything close to this much land. Unfortunately, the house needed a new septic system and the construction ended up tearing up most of the yard. The septic wasn't finished until October, so the yard has been mostly a mud pit (or a snow covered mud pit the few times we had snow this year :-) all winter.

Now that spring is arriving, I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with the yard. Well, at least the front half. The back half (where the septic field is) I'll just throw some seed on (if that) and keep whatever grows from getting out of hand. For the from half, I would like to have grass, but I don't want to put too much money or time into it. I'd like something that the kids can run on without breaking their ankles, but I don't need it to be Pebble Beach. Also, we're just settling into the house and the wife has dreams of a rather large garden, so investing a lot of money in a lawn that might be half torn back up in a couple years is something I'd like to avoid. The guys who did the septic (very nice guys BTW) said they would come out and grade/topsoil/hydroseed at their cost, but I'm not sure I even want to do that. Maybe I can spend that money on a smallish lawn tractor (maybe something like a JD x300 or x500) and do it "good enough" by myself.

In addition to being new to the countryside, I'm new to MI having grown up in the California desert, where nothing grows by itself.

Any advice would be great at this point.

Also, I have some pics, but I'm not sure how to upload them...

Thanks!

Comments (5)