SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyclewest

Raspberry Moving - Grape Training

cyclewest
16 years ago

Speaking of those previous owners, here's another spot where they planted a concord grape and some type of raspberry. Also crowded into the space is a rose bush and ivy coming out from a basement window well.

Overhead view from porch:

{{gwi:123855}}

Southeast facing side view:

{{gwi:123856}}

It had maybe a single raspberry in late spring/early summer, and right now there are two branches that are really producing raspberries. In the last two years, this is the first year that they've really taken off, but there's not really anywhere for them to go. I'm trying to figure out how to set up something for the concord to grow on, given the limited space. I don't think there's much room for wires, could I just put in a T-post and guide it up to the crossbar?

I'm also thinking of moving all of the raspberries to this spot west of my cherry trees along a 6' southeast facing fence. Of course, I would only prepare the spot now, and transplant in early spring next year. I think I asked about a border before, but this spot would just allow me to mow off anything outside the designated area. From the right corner of the fence, there are two lawn sprinkler heads in the middle of the second and fourth panels of the fence. I would probably keep the bed to two feet wide and about 10-12 feet between the sprinklers, unless it would be okay to allow the raspberries to grow around the sprinklers. We could probably use the production from raspberries growing all along the fence, if they could withstand the sprinklers being there. They are the rotating stream type of sprinkler.

{{gwi:123857}}

By the way, is there any possibility of identifying the type of raspberry by these pictures? They aren't very tall, or is that because I don't have the berries trained onto anything either? I'm thinking it's an everbearer, and the berries we've tried are pretty sweet. I figured we better make sure we like them before we moved them so we knew we didn't want to just buy new plants.

Thanks again!

Comments (2)