SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Planning a Berry patch

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

I'm planning to add berries to my garden next spring. I'm planning a small bed of strawberries (I think 4'x 5' raised bed - 25 plants). Any idea how much this would yield (guesstimates welcome!)

Eventually I want to plant red and yellow raspberries, blackberries & black raspberries. The red & yellows are the recommended plants for my area, so that's what I plan to start with (but I want to try the blacks anyway). I plan to plant the red & yellows in rows, about 2' wide, 6'-8' long. How much space do I need between the rows? I'm thinking 2-3', just enough space for me and/or the lawnmower, but I keep reading much wider spacing recommendations. Also, any idea how much the plants produce? We had a large patch in Alaska (it was there when we moved in, a large untamed mess, and brutal to pick), and I picked more berries than I knew what to do with. I really just want enough for eating fresh, a pie or 2, and a little for the freezer. Depending on the row spacing I'd need to have, I think I could fit 3 or 4 rows of red/yellows.

Anyone have any input on how many feet of row I should plant? There are 2 of us in the house. Your experiences are appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!