SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beeonegw

Tiny Peaches

Beeone
15 years ago

I have a peach tree which is now probably 20-25 years old. It was originally purchased from Gurney's as an apricot, but leafed out with peach leaves. Over the years it has had frequent winterkill, but always recovers. I'm not sure if it is now growing above or below the graft as the winterkill in many years took it pretty well to the ground, but was always disappointed they sent some kind of peach rather than an apricot.

Anyway, it has had a blossom a couple times in the past, but this year it had over a dozen in May and set some fruit. However, these fruit are still quite green and probably about the size and shape of a pecan.

Could this have been a rootstock and if so, are the peaches likely to ever do anything?

I never got rid of the tree because it was surviving and wasn't in a place where I really needed the room, so it has remained. Now I'm starting to need the room, so last year after it had it's second blossom but didn't set any fruit, I threatened it with one more year, then the saw was coming out. I guess threats can work on fruit trees, but with green as grass little fruits still, I doubt they will ever ripen. Could it have finally decided it is big enough to start producing and in future years may actually develop something that ripens? Is is likely a rootstock that just has useless fruit? Would Gurney's have actually used a zone 5 or higher rootstock for a zone 3 apricot or was it just a shipping mistake? Just curious.

The tree has always shown mild signs of iron deficiency, but otherwise no sign of insect, disease, or nutrient deficiency.

Comments (3)