SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmaxt03

Pre-emergent Advice on damaged lawn

dmaxt03
10 years ago

My lawn is an established centipede grass approximately 10 years old. Over the last 6-8 months, it appears significant damage has occurred to the root system and now, most grass appears to be dead. In several large areas, the grass, runners, and thatch layer can be lifted with ease exposing soil underneath (no or little root system at all).

I am not sure of the cause. We have had a unusual amount of rain in the last year, and.my yard has not been able to dry out. I was also told by a landscaper last September (6 months ago), that it looked like pre-emergent had burned the roots. (I applied a product with Prodiamine early last year (Feb or March), but don't think I exceeded recommended amount). I now concede, that the pre-emergent may have contributed, however, the yard has continued to degrade over the winter. In addition, the rain has left the yard soggy and wet, and now, weeds are beginning to take over.

Now is time of the year to apply a pre-emergent to prevent crab grass and summer weeds.

Should I apply a pre-emergent under these conditions?

I really would like to control the weeds and believe they will be more of a problem now that the lawn is damaged. I am thinking about a product with Dimension, but am unsure if I should. It has been a year since the last application of pre-emergent, however, I am also concerned that I may have to replace sod in places if the grass does not return.

If I apply a pre-emergent now, will I be able to install new sod in the next 6 weeks if it does not return?

Comments (4)