SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

5 yr old Grandson's first stepping stone Lesson

goldenpond
15 years ago

Hi all. My 10 yr old grandson had so much fun doing his stepping stone and next in line was my five year old grandboy . YIKES!!!!!!

I do this in increments so as not to wear us out plus it needs drying time before grouting etc. Lots of patience. I am doing these with an animal theme and I had a cat and pig tile and asked which he wanted.He said a Butterfly. I didnt have a butterfly plate or tile so he chose the pig,Then I remmembered I had a ceramic Butterfly Fridge magnet.I took off the magnet and it worked great. And he was happy as he is as nuts over bugs and butterflies as me.

As you can see I always teach SAFETY and explain WHY!

Also taught is the importance of cleaning up tools when we are done.

{{gwi:156689}}

{{gwi:156691}}

We started with cement stepping stones we already had.

They make their decision ahead as to the theme and pick marbles,tiles etc that THEY like. Do it dry first so you have enough . Put away extras or they will want to keep adding and changing their mind.

The older ones can use nippers ,always with safety goggles .This can be a separate day of work/fun.

I allow the kids to slather on the tile adhesive and smooth it out like a jelly sandwich then place their stuff. Make them put the big stuff on first as they always want to start with all the cute little things but you need those for fillers.

This is most trying so no caffeine ahead of time!

In a few days we do the grout(sanded) surgeons mask is a neccesity!A sponge is handy!

At first they are sad to see their art disappear beneath the grout.

When it begins to dry we start wiping and brushing it away and they discover their Hidden treasures!

It helps if the kids can see a finished stone first.

I have not sealed them yet,trying to find the best for Florida's heat and humidity.

I buy all my plates,marbles and tiles at garage sales for next to nothing. They look through my stuff like I use to sort through my MOMS button jar.

It is great if you have mementos like those squashed pennies from tourist traps or other coins,jewels metal wheels from a toy or gamepiece etc.Make it fun and remember those little uncoordinated fingers are going to drop marbles sideways and on the floor and the grout will be all over. Laugh it off.

My next two grandboys are a two year old and a 6 month old Another baby is on the way. I think I may take a break and just do some mosaics myself until they get bigger.

Comments (13)