SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pacochu

Core Aerating St. Augustine

pacochu
13 years ago

We've been our house for over five years now and all of my lawn car has been limited to fertilizing. I've finally decided to core aerate the thing. The "soil" here is basically a layer of sand put on top of the clay. Squares of St. Augustine are laid down and the lawn is declared done.

Bermuda has taken over quite a bit of it. I've mowed at 3.5 inches the past year or two to try and shade it to death. I do not have a sprinkler system, so all watering is natural or if I drag out the hoses. There is one area that is quite matted down and grows more out than up.It is a small lot in the 0.25 acre range. A 5,000 sq ft bag of fertilizer typically fills my needs with some spare.

I am planning on doing this early next week. We are scheduled for several days of rain and cooler temps in the 70's. I plan on watering well over the course of the next few days to soften the soil a bit.

I've read through several posts on the forum here, but was looking for specific information for my case. I hope to make several passes with the plug machine in all different directions. After that, I was planning on spreading out some gypsum and then following up with fertilizer. I'd then spread out some compost over the yard.

Does this sound good, or is it too much?

What types of fertilizer should I put down?

How much compost do you think I will need?

Is there anything I can put down that will kill the Bermuda while saving the St. Augustine?

Should I mow the lawn at a certain height before doing everything?

Thanks for your help and feel free to ask for more information. I've tried to include everything that I saw asked in previous posts.

Comments (7)