SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjski_gw

Starter Fertilizer Plus Crabgrass Preventer Question

tjski
13 years ago

I renovated my lawn last Sept by aerating, de-thatching, adding compost, and over-seeding with a mixture from a local sod farm of Fescue, KBG, Perennial Ryegrass. This went quite well, but with the dry weather last year there still some more filling in required. I did some dormant overseeding in Dec to really top things off. The problem I am wrestling with now is my neighbor's adjoining lawn is full of crabgrass and I am afraid it will invade my renovated lawn once growing season starts. I have usually used a pre-emergence crabgrass preventer (Halts) in the past to control this situation with excellent results, but this year, since I did the dormant overseeding, I can not use this product. Can I use the starter fertilizer with crabgrass preventer instead? Will this really not prevent my dormant overseeding from sprouting? Any one with past experience with this product? Also has anyone found a good way of eliminating creeping bentgrass without completely killing the lawn and starting from scratch?

Comments (4)