SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtburton_gw

Fall (Everbearing) Raspberry Strategies

jtburton
10 years ago

For the second year in a row, my fall raspberries have disappointed me. At first, they show potential with many blooms, then only a few bloom at the same time, yielding just a handful of berries every couple of days. Over the course of the last several weeks, I went from expecting a bumper crop, to seeing most of the berries either get mushy, become stinkbug food, or refuse to grow beyond a nubbin. The first week, I had nice, large tasty berries, but then the gradual decline to worthless, moldy mush.
My spring crop produced a lot more berries, although smaller, but without the problems. I even left them uncovered and the birds were kind and only took a few.

Considering the following characteristics of my fall-bearing raspberries (Caroline and Anne):
- Low and spread out production (only a few berries a day)
- Heat damage
- Bug damage

I'm wondering if a summer bearing raspberry might be a better choice. I would prefer a shorter but more robust production period where I could actually get enough berries to freeze or use in other ways.

Would the Tulameen raspberry variety grow in the mid-west? I see different reports on cold hardness and heat tolerance. Any other red summer bearing varieties suggested? Is anybody getting significant production out of their fall raspberries?

Comments (4)