SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_bride_tiffanyt

Unknown House Plant

the_bride_tiffanyt
16 years ago

Back in August I received a house plant as a house warming gift. It is "Tree Like" almost looks like a miniature palm tree, and I have no clue how to care for it..... I am assuming that it requires little light, but I am not sure how much water.. In the beginning I over watered it and I just left it alone until all the water was obsorbed... and once it was obsorbed I let it be for a few weeks and it was great, now the tips of the leaves look burnt and the leaves are drooping..I watered it; but I am affrait to over water it again. I have it located in my living room about three feet from a steam radiator (I don't know if that matters)and I just want the yellow and nasty tips to look nice again.....I haven't put any thing to it since I have gotten it, just water. Should I give it new soil? move it? I don't know what it is,so it is hard to look up and see how to care for it. Thanks in advance for your ideas and help.

Comments (7)

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

Hi, can you post a pic for an ID?

• User
    16 years ago

I have no idea wht this is, but am guessing if your radiator is on, the plant's not liking it. I'd move it away from the heat until you figure out what it is.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Tiffany, this is a long shot guess, but could it be a Dracaena marginata (dragon tree or Madagascar dragon tree)
    I'm assuming you haven't a camera to post a picture, otherwise you would have..right? (S)
    Check Dracaena marginata on google.com or type in your search engine.
    For the time being, is there one or multi trunks?
    What about leaves? Shape? Color? The common dragon tree has long/pointed green with red-edged leaves. There's other colors too, green/pink/white/ or red/green/white.
    The two latter are harder to locate.
    What's your trees height? Are leaves thick or thin? Most thick leaves are succulent, therefore, little water is needed, especially in winter..Thin leaves require more water, but never overwater any plant..

I agree with Pirate Girl about keeping it away from the heat. Artificial heat dries the air, which most plants, especially tropicals can't cope with.
    Since you've already figured overwatering caused problems, you know not to do it a second time..
    Whatever the plant is, water when soil feels crumbly dry. Stick your finger deep in soil..if it feels moist or wet, refrain from watering..if dry, give it a good drink until water seeps of drainage holes.
    BTW, you mentioned it was a gift..Many gift plants are wrapped w/colored foils..Remove ASAP. Otherwise, water will sit on the bottom and drown roots..
    As for light, I'd place in at the minimum, medium sunlight. Since it's nearing winter, days are cloudy, so even plants that require low light wouldn't object sitting in a south or west window..(since you're in CT)
    Good luck, and I hope u locate your plant..Toni

• the_bride_tiffanyt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the words Toni, I have made an album to share on photobucket here is the link of te plant. I am going to move it out of the range of the heat... my house is kept at 66 (at the most) and so far we having a mild season so it hasn't been on that much, but maybe just enough to irritate the plant. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:112384}}

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

It's a corn plant, Dracaena fragrans massangeana. They prefer to dry out between waterings but are pretty adaptable. They also adjust well to most light conditions, though bright indirect light or filtered sun are best (full sun will burn it). It's hard to say what might be the specific problem here. Burnt tips often mean mineral buildup in the soil: it's a little soon for this, if you only got the plant in August, but maybe.

I wouldn't change the soil now, or anytime soon: it's probably okay at least until May or June. You might consider flushing the soil with lots and lots of water, letting the water run through the soil pretty thoroughly, the next time it's dry (and only the next time it's dry: don't do it now because you feel like you should be doing something): this will remove some mineral buildup, if there is any. (This works best if you set it in the shower or something and pour water through with a watering can or pitcher. You should use at least three gallons of water, and twice that much wouldn't hurt anything. Then let the plant drain well before moving it back to the decorative pot it's in.) Corn plants do not like to stand in water: whether you're flushing it out or just watering it routinely, make sure that you dump out any excess after about fifteen minutes. If you leave the pot to stand in water, the water will wick up into the soil until it's all gone, leaving the soil that much wetter for that much longer, which will eventually cause it to rot.

I don't think the heat was probably the plant's main problem, though I agree that it probably wasn't doing the plant any favors, either. If it was a heat or watering problem, you'll probably be forgiven in a few months; corn plants are nice that way.

• watergal
    16 years ago

mr s's advice is excellent, as usual. I like to keep them on the dry side so they don't rot. I find that the leaves often get limp in very low light (they will also do that when rot has set in, but I don't think your plant looks like that is the issue - it actually looks pretty healthy to me).

Sometimes you can get fertilizer tip burn when a plant moves from a high light situation (like the greenhouse that your plant was in before it was given to you) to a significantly lower light situation. I've also had yellow tips like that show up after a plant has been TOO dry.

The tips won't green up again, but you can take a sharp scissors and cut the end of the leaf into a new point to make it look nice again if you want to.

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

the bride tiffanyt, try to recall how long it took between watering and the water being absorbed. Say four weeks. Then try to recall how long it was before you watered it again. Say three weeks. If you can remember how much water you applied the first time, I suggest that you reduce the amount...drastically. Use a thin dowel rod to probe the full depth of the grow pot. The color and feel of the soil clinging to the dowel rod will indicate the moisture in the soil at any particular level. The roots on the canes of your corn plant are probably in a narrow band about three inches off the base of the pot. You want the soil in this area to dry out between waterings. I would guess that the plant will take a quart of water every two weeks. No water should be sitting in the decorative container after that interval. The plant is more forgiving of underwatering than overwatering so I believe that you have not done any harm.
    The plant appears to be in good health; judging from the way the individual leaves 'arch over', I would opine that the shorter cane is showing signs of incipient drought stress. Watch the leaves on the left assume a slightly more graceful curve as they imbibe! This particular variety is a very attractive and durable indoor plant. You will enjoy its presence for a long time.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio