SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

early blueberries for z7 NC?

cousinfloyd
10 years ago

Can anyone recommend blueberry varieties for the western edge of the North Carolina Piedmont that would get my season going earlier?

This year I started picking rabbiteyes (Climax, Premier, Bluebelle, Woodard) about June 27, but I'm wondering what I could pick before then. I picked some Legacy blueberries on June 17, and they're definitely better than nothing, but they weren't very sweet, and of the two Legacy bushes I planted one took about twice as long to reach the same size and start fruiting well as my rabbiteyes, and the other Legacy has just barely survived for 6 years and probably isn't as many inches tall still. Anyways, I'd hope for something a little better adapted to my conditions (more like the rabbiteyes), but I could work with anything like the Legacy for an earlier start on the season, all the more if the taste were better. What's the earliest blueberry I could try? What's not quite as early but still at least a week earlier than the rabbiteyes and worth growing for relatively better flavor?

Shazaam, if you see this, I'd be interested to hear more of what's worked for you. Your mention of Reka in another thread caught my interest. I also planted an Oneal over a year ago, but I didn't let it produce any fruit this year so it could pull all its energy into getting established better. If you know, I'd be interested in your experience of relative ripening times.

Thanks, everyone.
-Eric

Comments (4)