SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

Impact of severe winter on one peach tree -- production halved

Sara_in_philly
9 years ago

Hi, everyone! Haven't been here for quite a while. I finished picking all the peaches from one early peach tree two weeks ago(July 20) I would like to report the impact of this winter on this particular peach tree.

When I first checked this peach tree in the spring, it has very few flower buds and their development is way behind the red haven nearby( but on a couple of feet higher ground).

Eventually, I think this tree had about 20% of the normal flower. I didn't have to thin the fruit much at all. I ended up getting 25 lb peaches off this tree, vs close to 50 lb Last year.

This peach tree was planted 6 years ago, it was labeled belle of Georgia but it is not. So I don't know what it is, I just call it mystery peach.

I have grafted 7-8 plum buds to this tree last august, in the fall it looked like 3-4 of graft were alive, but only one survived to this year. This graft now has only 1 1/2 inches of stem and 10 leaves. It grows slowly.

One thing interesting is that even though I have sprayed fungucide and pestercide before bud break, and at petal fall. I still has a lot of bug damage on the little peaches when I examined them 4 weeks later in early June (I was out of town for 3 weeks).

Quite a lot of the peaches have clear oozing. I cut open a few of them, and saw the the mark but no larvae. I assumed it's either OFM or PC.

i sprayed more in June. But the peaches continue to have oozing.

However, out of The 25 lb of peaches I picked, Not a single worm inside the peach, only lots of disfiguration outside. The oozing spots had scars and didn't grow like rest of the peach. So the shape of the peaches is odd. Now I am wondering, did I really have OMF, PC or something else?

Here is the time table I sprayed:

April, before bud break, general fungucide +Triazicide +spreader, Rained in less than 24 hrs

May 9, petal fall, captan + Triazicide +spreader on June 7. Rained in less than 24 hr

June 7, captan + Triazicide +spreader. Rained in the afternoon same day

June 14, captan + Triazicide +spreader. No rain for 4 days

I have another 3 peach trees with various degree of bug damage and reduced flower. They should be ready for harvest later this month, will update their production then.

Comment (1)