SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atharaenea

Gardenia troubles

Atharaenea
9 years ago

I have a potted Kleim's hardy gardenia that I brought in for the winter (the cold seemed to be killing it, and I'm out of zone anyways). It was a baby in April (just 4 little leaves), and now is about a foot tall with 2 main trunks. About 2 weeks ago, all the leaves on one trunk dropped... they didn't turn yellow or black, they just dropped off. I put it up on the kitchen table under the light fixture (5 100W equivalent daylight CFL bulbs) to get it more light, since I don't have any windows that get enough direct sun to do it any good. Now, that one trunk is starting to get some stems turning black, along with most of the remaining tiny leaves. I cut back to healthy wood, but the die-back continues. So tonight, suspecting root rot, I went and got some new potting soil (miracle gro potting soil and some orchid soil) and a brand new pot. I dug the gardenia up, and surprisingly, the root ball was very dense and the roots peeking out where white and healthy. I put it in the sink and tried to rinse the soil off, but most of it would not come off because the roots were holding it so tightly. So now it's in a smaller pot (which better matches its small size) with about 30/70 orchid soil to potting soil. I only dribbled a little water on top of the new soil to settle it, figuring the thoroughly soaked root ball will be enough water to last weeks.

This is my first gardenia, and I'm still a beginner in gardening and such. I was wondering if I did things right? What should I do if it keeps dying back?

Comments (5)