SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanuttree

Beets in the tropics? Cool-weather vegetables in the tropics?

peanuttree
16 years ago

I read that beets are a biennial - that is, they need some winter chill before they flower and set seed - but in Haiti there is a traditional dish called beet salad, which has beets in it (obviously). But Haiti is in the tropics - how would they propagate beets if there is not winter chill? There are mountains, but they aren't high enough to get frosts. I don't get it. Aren't temperate-climate biennials supposed to need winter chill to set seed? (and it's not like they were buying seeds shipped from temperate countries - beet salad is a traditional dish and buying seeds from far far away wasn't big in farming Back In The Day)

And similarly with potatoes. From what I understand potatoes like cool weather, and yet they're eaten in the some of the traditional dishes of some tropical countries e.g. Thailand. And again, the mountains in Thailand don't get too high, so no matter where you go it's pretty hot and humid most of the year. Do they have varieties of potatoes that do well in the tropics, and maybe grow them during the (relatively) cooler dry (dry-ER season, anyway) season?

what's the deal?

Comments (8)