SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Overwintering a potted cherry

cfox248
9 years ago

Hey again!

New question. I have a potted Northstar Cherry. About 5 feet tall, still young though. It's in a large pot with very well draining soil. I have a few questions about wintering.

Firstly I live in the Twin Cities, Mn, on the border of zone 3 and 4. I hear very mixed things about the survival rate of Northstars here, and those are in the ground. They are less hardy in a pot. It gets bitterly cold outside here, -30 and sometimes lower (even if you don't count the windchill. If you DO count windchill it gets MUCH colder than that). It doesn't often get that low, but it happens. Last winter there was several days that low, but the year before it probably didn't happen at all. Can't really predict it. I have two options...

First option is to, once it gets too cold, bring it into the unheated basement. It stays pretty cold down there. It's also in a mansion-converted-to-apartments and the lights are always on (no switch to turn them off) so it would be bright winter long. I am not sure if this would have a negative effect on the cherry? It would be down for just the most frigid months and brought back outside when it gets less cold.

Second option is to sink the pot in the garden, wrapped in bubble wrap and cover the sunk area with hay. While this is the most natural method I still don't know that it would pull through and live over the winter, especially if we get those super cold days. I would rather put it in the basement if the lights being on constantly wouldn't harm the plant... (I know it can cause problems for plants with leaves, but what about dormant plants with no leaves?)

So, which is the better option, here? Also, when should I stop watering? Once the leaves fall off? Can it go all winter without water? When should I START watering again?

Thanks everyone! If anyone else has Northstars in Minnesota, I'd love to hear your care regiment too. I Just don't wanna kill it!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!