SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pezzuti9

best way to overwinter grafted pear

pezzuti9
16 years ago

Hi,

I have couple of grafted pear trees that I grafted this past spring March to be exact. They are growing rather slowly. I just moved them up to a one size larger pot. I believe it's a two-gallon size. The root system looked good on all of them but where not over crowded in the container they where in.

My plans where not to plant them out in the garden as yet because they haven't grown that much but are still alive with some new growth showing as well as the growth that was first to sprout from the scions. The original sprouts are in good shape also.

I though it would be a good idea since sap moves up and down the trees in the winter months when the temps allow for it, that I would place them after they go dormant in the southern facing window in my unheated garage. I would not cover them at all. Just leave them exposed to the sun or clouds depending on what type of weather we are getting through the winter months. I plan to water them a bit also when needed. In spring I would move them out doors until they begin to show signs of growth then plant them in my yard.

Do you of you think that would work or can you suggest a different method? Keep in mind I am in zone 5 growing area.

Thanks

Lou

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor