SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

(JOE)Parlor Palms, Arrowheads, Scheffs, Pothos..? (Joe)

tifflj
11 years ago

This thread is aimed at Joe bu of course anyone can chime in as I love hearing what others have to say about a situation.

First I want to say, I have the itch for more plants already. Didnt take long did it? However, I dont particularly have the room or the proper onditions to venture out of what I already have. So, I will do the smart thing and wait. Unless I find a plant that will fit into our current conditions and will fit in the smaller space I have avaiable.

I also dont have a favorite plant as of yet. If I had to rank what I had so far, my Scheff,philodendron ( i think) peace and rubber are at the top of the list and the palm is a little on the low end of the list. The arrowhead is also high but that is because she is being finiky and I am trying to keep her going.

So as far as parlor palm goes, I a not sure the repot is sticking well with her. She was seperated into two different pots as there were two plants in one pot and it was crowded. I have pulled ALOT of stems? strands rigt up out of the soil as they were dead and not holding onto anything. I am not sure this is root rot because when I cleaned her off I dont remember seeing anything that resembled brown, slimy roots. They seemed to be more fine and stringy, from what I remember. I should have taken pictures. So I dont know what she is going to do now. I guess time will tell.

My arrowhead has had yellowing leaves from time to time on the bottom leaves. From what I have heard ppl say and what my book said, this can be common...or something to do with leaf maturity??? Now I will say the repot for her was a litte scarey, the roots were browning but not slimy. I repotted it anyway because I just had a feeling she still had lfe in her as there is or was 5 new growths coming up. They are growing by the day. But I also just cut 4 leaves from her in the past week.

My scheff is one of my favs because it was my first plant and she is doing so well. Recently though, in the last week, I have had leaf drop and in some cases total stem drop. Now I did read this is common as the plant grows...? True? She was having new shoots frequently but they have slowed down and the new ones coming up are taking a long time to grow. I assume because of winter coming?? (which leads me to a different qestion for a new thread) (you all love my questions huh) Im sorry. :(

Finally Joe, I think my favorite by a leaf or two is the new philodendron. I am highly confused on if it is al philo or pothos. The encylopedia says they are very very closely related but it would still be nice to know. I would like to understand the new growth on him. So a new leaf comes out of the vine and seems to have a 'covering' on it...which eventually turns brown and falls off??? What is this and what purpose does it serve. It only bothers me slightly because it looks like dead stuff or dying stuff on the plant...

Thats all. I do have two more threads I would like to post regarding the season change that I have been meaning to, but I dont get the time I would like on GW till after the kiddos are in bed and I am relaxing with the hubby before bed. I read everyones responses though on my phone through my email. Just takes me longer to respond.

G'night all. Love it here.

Tiff

Comments (23)